Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Our first Lamaze class...

"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can . . . ." The Lamaze teacher said that 90% of making it through a natural childbirth is your frame of mind. I totally believe that. I was just saying to Ed the night before our first class that although I really like the idea of delivering without an epidural, it is really hard to imagine myself toughing it through all that pain. I've never even broken a bone, for pete's sake. Trying to fathom an unfathomable pain and envisioning yourself willing yourself through it is pretty difficult. Good lord, I read the other day that some women emerge from labor with bruises on THEIR FACES AND CHESTS, just from straining so hard while pushing. Holy crap.

All that said, the first class actually did wonders in terms of improving my confidence. The teacher is also a labor doula, so she has assisted in a LOT of deliveries. That alone gives me confidence that she knows what she's talking about when she describes all the different ways to get through this. She also starts from the point of view that it's totally fine if you decide to go epidural, but if you want to do it naturally, you WILL get through it, and that the Lamaze techniques will help either way.

We learned a slow breathing technique that we're supposed to use once contractions begin, and although it's kind of hard to imagine doing it through a contraction, it is rather amazing how quickly the time passes when you're concentrating on your breathing. I would get through one long breath and she would already have counted off half of the contraction (they usually last 45 seconds to a minute). I started thinking, "Maybe this won't be impossible after all." But again, the unfathomable part (not to mention the facial bruising) is pretty disturbing.

More than anything, the Lamaze class just brought home again how close this little Turtle is getting to its arrival. Most of the other women in the class are significantly farther along than we are-- most are due in early to mid-October. We're taking the class now because they weren't offering one in October, and the Turtle might just decide to come a tad early before we would even be able to finish the November class! Just thinking about how close it is getting boggles the mind. Anyway, starting to think in all seriousness about the actual delivery is pretty freaky. You're pregnant for so long, and you read all the "books" about being pregnant-- you don't think much about the delivery, let alone what comes afterward. It really takes a moment (or several) to start to comprehend that at some point soon, you are no longer going to BE pregnant. And just before that point, you will go through what in all likelihood will be the most painful experience in your life to date (at least in mine, and only if I go without drugs, of course). And immediately after that point, your life will be changed in its entirety. Forever. Whew. It's a lot to chew on. And even more to look forward to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i see your holy crap and raise you two holy craps