Monday, August 11, 2008

Holy IKEA, Batman!

Who knew that 20 minutes in IKEA could transform a fuzzy idea into an entire room, complete with paint? Ok, so we had to go to Home Depot to get the paint, but by the time we got there, the colors just jumped out at us. We went to IKEA just to look at cribs (which, shockingly, have gotten good reviews from consumer groups). The cribs were not really what we were looking for (they're very low to the ground, which is bad news for this Turtle Mama's bad back), but they have tons and tons of child and baby bedroom decor.

Ed and I knew long before we got pregnant that we would do a baby's room in a sea creature theme, given our love for crabs (see our wedding cake) and dolphins, and my karmic relationship with sea turtles (one of which bit me in Hawaii last summer). But we'd gone back and forth about how to do it. Realistic or more child-like? What kind of colors? Blah, blah, blah.

Well, one set of really colorful curtains (covered with fish, turtles, crabs, seaweed, and bubbles) later, and we had the Turtle's room all planned. We snatched up the curtains (which, in true IKEA fashion, are self-hemming with only the push of an iron!), as well as a few other choice accessories (you will have to wait to be surprised by the "AFTER" pictures), and headed off to Home Depot to get paint ("Sweet Rhapsody" and "Carolina Parakeet" are the colors of choice-- don't you wish you had the job of naming paint colors?). Sadly, the doc said no painting for me, so my contribution will be limited to taping off the trim and putting the room together after it's painted. Poor Ed's honey-do list is growing as fast as I am! (But I am eternally grateful to him for everything he does, most recently for installing a ceiling fan in our stuffy bedroom. Hallelujah! At least I'm cool while I toss and turn!).

It's amazing how quickly it all becomes real. 7 months away became 6, became 5, became 4. As relieved as I feel to have some sense of a plan for the Turtle's room, it's mostly because I feel so incredibly unprepared and perfectly out of control about everything else. I've always been afraid of trying things when I don't know if I'll be any good at them. I'm not very good at decorating. Do you think IKEA has a parenting package, too?

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Know how you feel, and this was the point last summer when we ordered the crib, which didn't arrive until Halloween, which then was defective, and didn't manage to get replaced until she was 4 months old, oh well!