Monday, October 6, 2008

Stroller Sagas...

Ok, YES, I know that if THIS is the thing causing me the most stress right now, I am pretty doggone lucky (wink). You betcha-- just call me Joe sixpack with Main Street problems. (And yes, the thinly-veiled reference I am making is actually what is causing me the most stress right now).

But man, choosing a stroller (OK, more than one, because it has become obvious that it will be hard to get by with just one) is like going into one of those old-fashioned candy shops and being told you can only buy one thing! Which one will you choose? Do you want hard candy or chocolate? If you want hard candy, which flavor do you want? If chocolate, do you want milk, dark, mint, peanut butter, blah, blah, blah? Or maybe you really want salt-water taffy! Or gum!? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

That is pretty much what it's like trying to pick out a stroller, except in this case, you can't just pick whatever you're in the mood for. There are so many things to think about-- size (will it fit in the trunk of the Saturn?), weight (will it be easy to haul up and down Metro stairs when the escalator is ALWAYS broken?), durability (will it withstand the daily walks over beat-up sidewalks to and from the Metro every day), maneuverability (will it easily fit ONTO the Metro, especially when it's standing room only?), cost (is it priced for normal people and not celebrity moms and dads?), safety (does it have a 5-point harness?), comfort (does it recline at all so the Turtle can nap in it?), longevity (how early can we start using it? for how long?), reviews (do more parents love it than hate it?). It's a mess. I've pored and pored over Consumer Reports and online reviews and my Baby Bargains and there's just no consensus. Sigh.

Oh, well, like I said, if this is my biggest problem right now, I count myself pretty fortunate. And fortunate I am. Amazing husband, supportive family, excellent friends, world's best dog, warm home, food when I want it, and, in about nine weeks, a wonderful little creature that will call me "Mom" (still-frightening thought though that is). Fortunate indeed. Stroller schmoller.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The first of many, many things that the turtle will cause you to question in such detail it makes you sick - and you never would have guessed would even cross your mind a few years ago. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

And after the stroller, what type carrier suits/fits you and Ed.. my Mandy must have bought 3 or 4 and none of them fit me. Then do you buy a rocker or swing or ??? since they won't use it long?

What fun for you, and now with the financial world crashing down, it will take up your stress - hopefully. Love, ja1 - can't wait